Research & professional experience
2015 - Current: Gordon & Betty Moore Foundation
Program Officer, Data-Driven Discovery Initiative. Contribute to strategy development, implementation and management. Includes management of grants in the DDD Initiative’s portfolio; planning and overseeing grantee meetings, collaborations and partnerships; partnering with grantees and creating linkages that add value to the field; and tracking trends and synthesizing knowledge relevant to the initiative issue areas. Separate from the DDD Initiative, I source and develop grants related to improving how science is conducted, including projects focused on data management, scholarly communication, and synthesis studies.
2011 - 2015: University of California’s California Digital Library
Research Data Specialist. Operated as a researcher liaison by providing guidance and consultation about data stewardship to UC researchers; lead workshops and give seminars on the value of data management for scientists; promote open science and open data within the UC and beyond. Dash data curation platform product manager; DMPTool project team member. Supervisor, CLIR/DLF Postdoctoral fellow in data curation. Communications and outreach coordinator: maintained blog and social media accounts. Briefly seconded by DataCite to serve as Manager of Strategic Partnerships.
2010 - 2011: DataONE
Postdoctoral Associate based at National Center for Ecological Analysis & Synthesis. Engaged the scientific and data management community in the Data Observation Network for Earth (DataONE), which is cyber-infrastructure that will provide universal access to environmental and ecological data. Included conducting research related to data education, workshop organization, and participation in working groups to engage the community.
2009 - 2010: University of Alberta & Dalhousie University
Postdoctoral Investigator. Used theoretical and experimental approaches to understand the role of life stage in establishment of invasive copepods introduced via ballast water.
2008: Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
Postdoctoral Investigator. Developed demographic models of the endangered North Atlantic right whale population based on mark-recapture data.
PhD in Biological Oceanography, 2008
Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Joint Program in Biological Oceanography. Dissertation: Metapopulation dynamics of the softshell clam, Mya arenaria (pdf). Primary Advisor: Lauren Mullineaux
BA in Marine Science with Biology Emphasis, 2001
Professional activities & service
- NSF Review Panelist, Office of Cyber-Infrastructure (2011); NSF Research Traineeship Program (2014)
- Reviewer, Moore Foundation Inventor Fellowship Program, International Journal of Geo-Information, PLOS ONE, PLOS Biology, Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Grant Program, International Journal on Digital Libraries, Journal of eScience Librarianship, Ecology Letters, Conservation Biology, Nature Biotech, Conservation Genetics, Journal of Sea Research, Marine Ecology Progress Series, Journal of Marine Biology, Marine Biology Research, Aquatic Biology, Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, NSF Proposals, IMLS Proposals
- Member, American Geophysical Union (2011 - present); American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (2003 - present); Ecological Society of America (2007 - present); Society for Mathematical Biology (2007 - 2010); Student Representative Committee to the Joint Program in Biological Oceanography, WHOI (2007); Biology Department Graduate Student Representative (2004)
- Marine Science at University of Alberta, 2009-2010
- Dynamics of Oceanography at Dalhousie University, 2010
- Models in Ecology at Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre, 2009
- Biological Oceanography at WHOI, 2004-2005
- General Biology at Maric College, 2001-2002
- Invertebrate Zoology at University of San Diego, 2000
Honors & awards
National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship (2002-2005), National Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship recipient (1999-2001), University of San Diego (USD) Dean’s List (1997-2001), Outstanding Scholarship for Marine Science Department, USD (2001), Outstanding Research for Marine Science Department, USD (2001), USD Associated Students Research Grant (1999), USD Trustee Scholarship Recipient (1997-2001)
A full list of research outputs is available here.